Friends of La Jolla Shores is a non-profit charitable organization whose mission is to enhance and preserve our public parks, beaches, unique coastal community and marine environment while promoting related educational experiences and recreational activities.
Friends of La Jolla Shores 501(3)(c) non-profit corporation was formally established in March 27, 2009. However, the community enhancement projects implemented in Kellogg Park by our organization predate this, beginning in September 2000 with the formation of Friends of Kellogg Park South Comfort Station, followed by Friends of The Map®, and then Friends of Kellogg Park Playground. All previous donations were administered by La Jolla Park & Recreation Inc. and the La Jolla Town Council Foundation.
All projects have been fully funded through donations and grants. They were each conceived, designed, and constructed in collaboration with the community, park users (scuba divers, surfers, kayakers, etc.), Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Birch Aquarium at Scripps, Kumeyaay Bands, local schools and merchants and approved by the La Jolla Shores Association and City of San Diego Park & Recreation Department. Our GOAL is to create a sense of community pride and ownership in Kellogg Park through TEAMWORK.
- Kellogg Park South Comfort Station ~ Landscaping ~ Thank You PlaqueThe Map® of the La Jolla Shores Underwater Park & Ecological Reserves ~ Major & Minor Donor Thank You Plaques
- Logo: Bronze sculpture of the Compass Rose ~ Preserve the Reserves®
- Playground with Junior Lifeguard/Respect the Ocean Theme ~ Fish ID Panels
- Life-sized Bronze Sculpture of J.J. the Orphaned Baby Gray Whale®
- Coordination of Eagle Scout Project ~ Path from Vallecitos into Kellogg Park
- Shade Structure for J.J. the Orphaned Baby Gray Whale®
- Fish ID Panels ~ In collaboration with Birch Aquarium at ScrippsReplacement of Kellogg Park North Comfort Station
- Story of J.J. the Orphaned Baby Gray Whale® in Mural Mosaic ~ In collaboration with Bev Hoskinson and SeaWorld Trainers & Vet.
- Bathymetry of the La Jolla Shores Underwater Park & Ecological Reserves
- Tree Replacement Program
- Renovation of the Boardwalk and Sea Wall
Kellogg Park South Comfort Station
- American Public Works Association, San Diego and Imperial Counties Chapter, Project of the Year Award 2006
The Map® of the La Jolla Shores Underwater Park & Ecological Reserves
- 2008 Decorative concrete Project of the Year Honoree
- 2008 Concrete Pavement Award ~ Decorative and Durable Designs ~ 2nd Place (Commercial Cast in Place Category)
- Wyland’s Ambassador to the Planet Award
- 2009 ACI San Diego People’s Choice Award
- ASCC Concrete Artistry 1st Place (National Award)
- Cornerstone Award